Sandalwood or Chandan is a sacred Ayurveda ingredient. Profusely used in religious rituals, the sandalwood tree has been mythologised in Indian customs since time immemorial. The Indian vedas record the holiness of the herb, and its unique and musty fragrance till now fills the halls of many a Hindu temple and a Buddhist monastery.
But beyond being just a holi incense stick, sandalwood is gifted with anti-microbial and nourishing properties making it an excellent cure for Pitta and Vata skin issues such as acne, rashes, ulcers, sunburn, dryness and more. This old Indian superstar ingredient holds secrets to give you brighter, clearer, and more radiant skin.
And while you might have found the familiar smell of sandalwood line your mom and grandma's beauty cabinets and mandirs, sandalwood oil and bark are still popular in modern beauty products, especially in Ayurvedic products.
Wondering what's so great about sandalwood and if you should include it in your daily beauty routine? Keep reading
Benefits Of Sandalwood For Skin
The uses of sandalwood powder on face are many. Not only does sandalwood help you get clear skin, it also helps you get rid of persistent skin-related issues. Let's tell you how:
Sandalwood is rich in antioxidants that prevent skin sagging and the consequent formation of wrinkles. It is also capable of fighting the damage caused by the presence of free radicals in the skin. Ayurveda reveres it for its anti-ageing properties that can make skin firmer, while also reversing sun damage. Isn't that amazing.
2. Fights acne
You can even use sandalwood to prevent those wretched pimples from popping out on your skin. The antiseptic properties of sandalwood reduce bacterial growth on the skin, which makes it very effective in treating acne, boils, and sores and preventing them from worsening.
3. Removes scarring
Sandalwood is known to heal your skin tissues. This healing property helps in getting rid of scars from wounds, blemishes, dark spots and eczema. You can also use sandalwood powder for skin whitening as it removes skin impurities to give you an even tone. This is why brides-to-be are advised to apply sandalwood on face to look flawless on their wedding day.
4. Soothes the skin
Sandalwood is rife with anti-inflammatory properties, which makes it an ideal remedy for sunburns and skin rashes. It heals skin irritation and itchiness caused by infections, insect bites, or product reactions and also prevents eruptions and acne.
The effects of a suntan can last for long if not treated quickly. Rubbing sandalwood oil or applying its paste on the affected parts can remove suntan gradually as well as reduce the redness and burning caused by overexposure to the sun's rays.
Want flawless skin everyday? Try applying sandalwood on face
Natural ingredients like sandalwood work best when you use them in their purest form. Frankly, that is a tough task in itself. With adulteration being common in almost everything you buy, how can you tell if the sandalwood you are using is pure? Hence, it is suggested to trust brands whose vision and mission is to provide you with nothing but absolute, exotic goodness from Mother Nature, just like Coco Soul.
Coco Soul's products harness the power of centuries-old Ayurvedic wisdom and benefit from the ingredients found in nature to make pure, organic, and chemical-free products. Along with the ancient magic of Ayurvedic herbs and spices, all Coco Soul products are infused with exotic virgin king coconut oil, a native of Sri Lanka and a powerhouse of nutrients beneficial to both your hair and skin.
If you are looking forward to adding sandalwood to your daily skincare routine, look no further.
1. Face Scrub: With the magic of nature's goodness packed in an easy tube, this exfoliating face scrub deeply cleanses your skin to reveal a radiant, even-toned complexion. It also removes dead skin cells to unclog pores and purge surface impurities. Infused with organic virgin king coconut oil and Ayurvedic herbs like sandalwood and venivel, this nature-inspired face scrub feels like a gentle kiss on your skin.
- Virgin coconut oil: An elixir in the Ayurvedic world, virgin coconut oil has skin-nurturing properties that hydrate the skin and promote cellular repair.
- Venivel: This exotic ingredient exfoliates dead skin, removes excess oil, and renews the skin to give you a fairer, blemish-free look.
- Sandalwood: The secret to flawless, younger-looking skin, sandalwood deeply moisturises the skin, reverses sun damage, and minimises age spots.
All in all, this sandalwood-infused, Ayurvedic face scrub will help you get clearer, softer, and even-toned skin naturally.
2. Nourishing Body Lotion: What if we told you that your skin can heal while getting moisturised? This nourishing body lotion, infused with the healing powers of exotic virgin coconut oil and Ayurvedic herbs like sandalwood and welmi, does exactly that. Fragrant and lightweight, this genie of a lotion melts on the skin to give you a nourished-from-within glow. Its plant-derived actives visibly moisturise and tighten the skin from the first application. Along with the super-nourishing virgin coconut oil, it also contains:
- Sandalwood: Revered in eastern cultures, sandalwood is known to reduce the oxidative stress in the skin, minimise age spots, and reverse sun damage.
- Welmi: A rich source of vitamin C, it fights skin dullness to reveal beautiful and radiant skin.
With this luxurious and silky body lotion, you are sure to begin a new love affair with your skin.
How can you benefit from sandalwood oil
- Get rid of acne: Sandalwood oil is antiseptic in nature, which prevents bacterial growth on the skin. Hence, sandalwood oil can be used to treat acne and pimples. To get rid of acne, dab a few drops of sandalwood oil on the affected areas. Rinse the oil after a few minutes if you have oily skin; but for normal skin, it is fine if you let it stay.
- Look young forever: Sandalwood has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the size of your pores and tighten the skin to prevent premature aging. It is also known to reduce oxidative stress in the skin. Apply a few drops of sandalwood oil on your skin and massage it in circular motions. Let it stay overnight and wash it off with lukewarm water the next morning. Sandalwood oil moisturizes the skin from within, giving it a soft, smooth, and younger appearance.
- Get a good night's sleep: Sandalwood oil is aromatic in nature, which allows it to soothe your senses and help you relax. If you are not getting enough beauty sleep, include a few drops of sandalwood oil in your skincare routine and see the difference for yourself. You can use it as a cleanser or a diffuser by adding a few drops of the oil in your lotion. You can even put it in your bathwater to help you relax.
While sandalwood oil can be used on all skin types, it is recommended that you do a patch test to avoid any allergic reactions.
How to make sandalwood oil at home
Apart from using the sandalwood-infused nourishing body lotion and face scrub, you can also harness sandalwood's benefits for the skin by preparing sandalwood oil at home.
To make sandalwood oil at home, you will need:
- An oven
- A cup of natural oil to form the base (could be olive/coconut oil, based on your preference)
- 8 grams of sandalwood powder
- A piece of muslin cloth
- A jar to store the oil.
- Preheat the oven to 200-degree for 10 minutes and turn it off.
- Pour the oil in an oven-friendly bowl and add the sandalwood powder.
- Stir the mixture until you see an even consistency.
- Place the bowl inside the oven and let it sit for about 60-90 minutes.
- Strain the mixture through the muslin cloth into the jar and store it in a cool and dry place.
Alternately, you can also place the bowl in sunlight for a few hours to let the oil absorb the powder.
Ayurveda has many hidden secrets that can transform your skin and hair health. You only need to include them in your beauty routine. Now that you know the benefits of sandalwood powder and oil, let it work its magic on your skin. Meanwhile, head on over to the Coco Soul store to explore more nature-inspired products today.