You must have seen many popular hair care television ads performed by your favourite Bollywood actors. The envy-inducing silky, shiny and bouncy hair showcased on those ads are something even you must have dreamed of at some time or the other in your life. But what if we told you that the recipe to healthy and silky hair is actually lying around in your kitchen counter? We’re talking about natural ingredients that work wonders for your hair.
The goodness of Ayurveda lies in the many herbs that can do wonders for your your hair. Known to battle hairfall, promote hair growth, heal and moisturize your hair, nature backed Ayurveda is the answer to all your hair woes.
The Importance Of Ayurvedic Herbs for Healthy Hair
Centuries-old Ayurvedic wisdom says that regular hair massage with a good hair oil can result in thick, silky, and healthy hair. So, instead of opting for expensive hair treatments, why not consider switching to an Ayurvedic regimen for hair growth? Read on to learn the ideal Ayurvedic hair care routine for healthy and shiny hair.
Ayurvedic Routine For Healthy Hair
Start by knowing your hair typeAccording to Ayurveda, three vital energies such as Vata, Pitta and Kapha regulate your bodily activities. Each of these energies helps determine your hair type and health, be it dry, frizzy or thin, straight, or thick, lustrous and curly hair. And to make the most of the Ayurvedic goodness, it is vital that you choose organic hair care products, based on your hair type, which contain Ayurvedic herbs that help prevent and treat your aggravated hair conditions.
Massage your hair regularlyAnother essential step in an Ayurvedic hair care routine is ‘champi’. You should religiously and regularly massage your hair and scalp with nourishing hair oil. Your scalp comprises various energy-relieving points known as ‘Marmas.’ Oiling your hair and scalp acts as a rejuvenation tool to remove excess doshas accumulated in your scalp through marmas. Additionally, regular oil massaging, at least two or three times in a week, promotes healthy, strong and shiny hair.
One of the best hair care tips for maximum results is to massage your scalp in a circular motion, starting from the hair roots to your tips.
Wash your hair modestlyUsually, your scalp follicles tend to get clogged with unwanted build-up of dirt, grime and excess oils, which need to be rinsed thoroughly. Using Ayurvedic hair shampoos containing herbs specific to your hair conditions will not only improve your dosha imbalances, but also improve your hair health by leaps and bounds.
Use hair masksIn Ayurvedic terms, hair masks mean ‘Shiro Lepa,' which is one of the most useful Ayurvedic hair therapies for nourished and deeply conditioned hair and scalp. Interestingly, one of the best Ayurvedic hair care tips suggests applying hair masks every fortnight to keep your scalp and tresses in good health. Few of the ingredients that you can use are eggs, bananas, honey, olive oil, and aloe vera.
Avoid chemical productsFollowing an Ayurvedic hair care routine means saying goodbye to toxic chemical products for good. The reason is that harsh chemicals such as silicones, phthalates, sulphates, parabens and SLS used in regular hair products can alter your scalp's pH and strip off the natural oils and protein layers from your hair. Using Ayurvedic products with natural ingredients will help you attain holistic hair health.
Comb your hair properlyCombing is one of the best ways to boost blood circulation on your scalp. Not only does it help detangle your hair, but it also helps your scalp's natural oils spread evenly through your hair strands. One of Ayurveda's effective natural hair care tips is to gently comb the hair once or twice using a blunt-toothed wooden comb. Also, wash the comb regularly to prevent the accumulation of dirt.
All in all, Ayurveda houses a solution for all your hair issues. And using products backed by the Ayurvedic wisdom and enriched with natural powerful ingredients can do wonders for your hair health. One such brand that inculcates the brilliance of mother nature in its products is Coco Soul. Read on to know how you can include the goodness of these products in your hair care routine.
Daily, Weekly & Monthly Hair Care Routine As Per Ayurveda
The secret to luscious, healthy, and happy hair is an ayurvedic routine. Here’s a three-step wholesome ayurvedic routine you can follow weekly , to get the hair of your dreams:
Step 1: Oiling your hair is the first step. Make sure you oil your hair four or five times every week, with a herbal oil that is infused with nature’s goodness. Virgin Coconut Oil based hair oil with vitamin E from Coco Soul is a great option as it is 100% unrefined coconut oil and additional herbs, and is prepared by a no-heat process that gives your hair the required amount of Medium Chain Triglycerides(MCTs). Oil your hair with this oil, or any herb-infused oil, for one or two hours, and then wash your hair with a gentle cleanser.
- Step 2: The second step is your cleanser or hair wash. Using a natural shampoo will allow your hair to retain its natural oil content and provide moisture to the roots. Coco Soul’s kikirindiya and godapara infused Natural Hair Cleanser is one such shampoo that cleanses your hair, without drying it out. Follow this step with the brand’s Natural Conditioner, which is rich in hibiscus and lunuwila! In other words, this is an ayurvedic combo that will transform your hair for good.
- Step 3: The final step is to apply a hair mask once a week. In the world of ayurveda, this is known as the ‘hair lepa’ that repairs your hair. The health of your scalp and quality of your hair are enhanced, nourished, and cared for with a mask.
Using products alone will not make much of a difference, if you don’t bring some positive changes in your lifestyle and habits. So, here’s a routine to keep in mind that you can follow month-on-month:
- Learn how to comb your hair – softly, gently, smoothly, with bristles that are close to each other. Use a wooden blunt-toothed comb, once or twice a day, to boost blood circulation, detangle your hair, and spread your hair’s oil over the strands.
- Avoid chemicals and opt for natural hair care products. This is you showing kindness to your hair, as well as the planet.
- A diet is the best way to ensure your hair’s health, while you choose products that are nourishing and good for your hair. Including herbs in your products is ideal, but it is imperative you include the herbs in your diet too. A few examples are methi or fenugreek, jeera or cumin, haldi or turmeric, and more.
- Practise yoga or workout regularly to stimulate scalp health. The reason is simple - each time your body is in rigorous movement, your blood circulation improves. Your scalp needs the nutrients and vitamins from your blood to stay healthy.
Try Coco Soul
Coco Soul harnesses the power of natural ingredients to give you a range of chemical-free hair care products in its bottles and tubes. So now, bid farewell to chemical-based products and switch to Coco Soul, for the love of your hair and nature. Here are some products made using Ayurvedic herbs that you can easily add to your daily hair care routine for healthy and lustrous hair.
Coco Soul Hair & Scalp Cleanser
This hair and scalp cleanser contains the perfect blend of Ayurvedic herbs and the good old virgin king coconut oil.
- Virgin coconut oil: Usually referred to as an elixir, it is a great natural cleanser for your hair.
- Kikirindiya: Often called a wonder herb, it reduces dandruff, hair fall and improves blood circulation on the scalp.
- Godapara: It is a powerful herb that soothes itchy and flaky scalp, and also strengthens your hair.
Using this hair cleanser twice a week will give you lustrous strands while avoiding the harsh effects of chemicals, such as silicones, DEA, sulphates, mineral oil, etc.
Coco Soul Hair & Scalp Conditioner
Reviving dull and frizzy tresses is now just a pump away. This Ayurveda-inspired hair conditioner contains a blend of natural herbs and virgin coconut oil to give you silky, beautiful hair of your dreams.
- Virgin coconut oil: This exotic oil moisturises and hydrates your hair and scalp from within.
- Hibiscus: It strengthens your hair and encourages growth to make your tresses look more bouncy and voluminous.
- Lunuwila: It prevents scraggy split ends, premature ageing and encourages healthy growth.
Now that you know about the benefits of this hair conditioner, head over to our blog on how to use hair conditioner for better results. The best part is that these nature-friendly products are MadeSafe certified and have not been tested on animals. To learn more about the benefits of using Ayurvedic products, head over to Coco Soul now!
Frequently Asked Questions On Ayurvedic Routine for Healthy Hair (FAQs)
Which Ayurvedic herb is good for hair growth?Apart from hibiscus, aloe vera and lavender are also good for hair growth.
What is the best way to care for the scalp according to Ayurveda?
According to Ayurveda, a good scalp massage the night before you plan to wash your hair will give your scalp and mane a good conditioning effect.
What is the best way to grow thicker hair?
The best way to grow thicker hair is to eat the right foods, using chemical-free shampoos, ditching heat styling, avoiding excessive hair brushing and pampering your scalp.