- An Egyptian treasure: Sandalwood
- How to pick the right kind of sandalwood for your skincare needs?
- DIY sandalwood packs for all kinds of skin types and problems
- What makes sandalwood such an efficient ingredient for skincare?
- Frequently Asked Questions on Sandalwood face packs (FAQs)
An Egyptian treasure: Sandalwood
Sandalwood, or ‘santalum album’, was first used by ancient Egyptians for its medicinal properties. A small tropical tree and the traditional source of sandalwood oil in India, sandalwood is widely used in fragrant incense sticks during rituals and ceremonies, soaps and perfumes. But today, we’ll focus on how to get beautiful skin using nature’s goodness i.e. sandalwood. The benefits of sandalwood on face are innumerable and we’ll dive deeper into some of them here.
How to pick the right kind of sandalwood for your skincare needs?
Ever heard of a Chandan face pack? Sandalwood or ‘Chandan’ is an ancient Ayurvedic ingredient that is the magic potion for beautiful skin. A transformative face pack of sandalwood, coupled with some more natural and easily available ingredients can do wonders for your skin. If you’re trying to find the right ingredients for your skin, we are here to help you choose the right ones for your skin type.
DIY sandalwood face packs for all skin types and problems
While store-bought products cut down the hassle and are easy to use on the go, DIY remedies have their own charm and effectiveness. So, let’s dig out some natural gems lying around in your kitchen and get creative! Home remedies of Indian grandmothers noted that sandalwood was recommended for acne, according to a 2011 ResearchGate study. Here are a few DIY sandalwood face pack recipes you can try for acne-free skin:
- Dry Skin
Sandalwood and milk face pack
Restore the natural pH balance of your skin by mixing these two simple, yet effective natural ingredients. Say hello to freshness and goodbye to dryness!
Quick tip: Use it thrice a week for optimum results.
1 teaspoon of milk powder
Preparing the sandalwood face pack with milk:
- Take the milk powder in a bowl and add a few drops of sandalwood oil to it
- Add adequate amounts of rose water to form an even paste
- Apply the paste on your face and neck and leave it to dry for 15-20 minutes
- Wash it off with cool water. Now pat your skin dry and moisturise well
Sandalwood, coconut, and almond oil face pack
Coconut oil, in ancient Ayurveda, is called the ‘elixir’ that hydrates your skin. Pairing this oil with sandalwood and almond oil adds much-needed moisture to your skin and reduces or prevents burning of the skin.
Quick tip: Go for one that is loaded with antioxidants. You can opt for Virgin King Coconut Oil – it’s an ideal hydration fix!
1 teaspoon sandalwood powder
1/4 teaspoon coconut oil
1/4 teaspoon almond oil
Preparing the sandalwood face pack with coconut and almond oil:
- Mix sandalwood powder with coconut oil and almond oil to make a paste
- Add a few drops of rose water as required
- Apply on the face and neck
- Let the pack sit for 15 to 20 minutes and wash it off with water
- Oily Skin
Sandalwood, tomato juice, and fuller’s earth face pack
As an anti-pollution option, this pack takes care of your skin and gets rid of the daily dirt and excess oil that accumulates on your face. Tomato, when combined with sandalwood, protects your skin and cleanses the pores to remove oil and dirt, and give you blemish-free skin.
1/2 teaspoon of sandalwood powder
1/2 teaspoon of tomato juice
1/2 teaspoon of fuller’s earth (multani mitti)
Preparing the sandalwood face pack with tomato juice and fuller’s earth:
- Mix the sandalwood powder and tomato juice in a bowl. Blend well to avoid lumps
- Add the fuller’s earth to the mixture and mix well
- Add a few drops of rose water to obtain even consistency
- Apply on the face and neck and leave it to dry for 15 minutes
- Wipe the pack using cotton pads or cloth dipped in ice-cold water
Sandalwood and orange face pack
Powder from oranges has the power of antioxidants and protects your skin from the UV rays of the sun. When used with sandalwood, it clears your pigmentation issues and makes your skin glow like never before.
1 teaspoon orange peel powder
1 teaspoon sandalwood powder
1-1/2 teaspoon rose water
Preparing the sandalwood face pack with oranges:
- In a bowl, mix the orange peel and sandalwood powder
- Add a few drops of rose water to the dry mixture to create a paste-like consistency
- Apply to the face and neck
- Leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes
- Wash off with water
- Acne-prone Skin
Sandalwood, turmeric, and camphor face pack
Ideal for acne and acne-prone skin, this pack also works to prevent acne scarring and blackheads.
1 teaspoon sandalwood powder
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
Preparing the sandalwood face pack with turmeric and camphor:
- Combine the sandalwood, turmeric, and a pinch of camphor powder
- To the dry ingredients, add in the required amount of water to form a paste
- Apply on the face and neck and leave it on for 15 to 20 minutes
- Rinse your face with cold water
Sandalwood and honey face pack
Honey, our sweet honey, can fight off pimple-causing microbes while a mixture of sandalwood and rose reduces excess oil, clears blemishes, and gives you radiant skin.
According to a 2018 study by the Journal of Clinical and Diagnostics Research, sandalwood and honey were shown to prevent or minimise scars on the skin.
Quick tip: Use this face pack twice a day.
3/4 teaspoon sandalwood powder
1 teaspoon powdered rose petals or rose water
Preparing the sandalwood face pack with honey:
- Mix the powdered rose petals (or sufficient drops of rose water) with sandalwood powder
- Add a few drops of honey to the mixture and whisk it well to make a paste
- Apply the pack on the face and neck. Let it dry for 20 minutes
- Wash it off with cold/ lukewarm water
On days when you don’t have time to whip up DIY face packs, sandalwood-infused products can come to your rescue. And we have the perfect suggestion for you - the Coco Soul Face Scrub. A great addition to your skincare routine, it is a gentle kiss on your skin and an all-natural alternative to a face pack. Here’s what goes into the product:
Sandalwood: Reducing the oxidative stress in your skin, its infusion in the face scrub helps to deeply moisturise the skin, minimise age spots, and reverse sun damage.
Venivel: A primary ingredient in this face scrub, it exfoliates dead skin, removes excess oil, and renews the skin to reveal a fairer, blemish-free complexion.
Virgin King Coconut Oil: Ancient Ayurvedic wisdom calls it the 'elixir' that hydrates our skin. This coconut oil is loaded with natural antioxidants and good fats that nurture the skin, fight dryness and leave it soft and supple.
At the heart of Coco Soul is the healing and nurturing power of Ayurveda and the gentleness of nature. The products are chemical-free, formulated to be gentle, safe, non-toxic and mostly plant-derived. Made with 100% organic, cold-pressed Virgin King Coconut Oil, all the products are MadeSade certified. They are 100% vegan, cruelty-free, and powered with herbs rich in antioxidants and active botanics, restoring your skin and hair to their eternal beauty.
What makes sandalwood such an efficient ingredient for skincare?
An ancient remedy for the skin, a Chandan face pack or sandalwood face pack benefits are countless. But to give you an overview, here are some key benefits of sandalwood on face:
- Acne treatment and scar removal
Day-to-day pollution can severely harm your skin and the antifungal nature of sandalwood helps fight off bacteria and germs. It also lightens and removes any marks or scars on the face, healing your skin inside out.
- Treats pores and reduces tan
The anti-inflammatory properties of sandalwood help cleanse and tighten open pores, soothe sunburns, and reduce the redness of irritated skin.
- Glowing and even skin tone
Awakening the inner glow of your skin, an overnight sandalwood mask on your face helps get rid of impurities and lightens your complexion.
- Scrubs away dead cells
Sandalwood is a magical exfoliator of dead skin cells for smoother, cleaner, clearer, and better skin!
Since a Chandan face pack or Sandalwood face pack seems to be an ideal answer to ‘how to get beautiful skin’, it will benefit you to make sandalwood an important part of your skincare regime. Choose your DIY sandalwood face pack or opt for the Coco Soul Face Scrub to feel the radiating difference!
Frequently Asked Questions on Sandalwood face packs (FAQs)
Can I use a sandalwood pack daily on my face?Yes, using a sandalwood pack daily on your face helps remove dark spots and reduces pigmentation, among other benefits. Talking about the benefits of sandalwood on the face, mixing it with honey to create a face pack, and using it twice a day, can result in reduced blemishes and radiant, glowing skin.
Can I leave sandalwood on my face overnight?Some of the sandalwood face pack benefits are calming, soothing radiance. Yes, applying it overnight with turmeric and camphor can help with anti-inflammation and restoration of your skin. Glow from the inside and outside the next morning once you wash your face with plain water.
Can you mix sandalwood with coconut oil?Say goodbye to your dark spots with a coconut oil and sandalwood mask for face. The all-natural Virgin King Coconut Oil is ancient Ayurveda’s ‘elixir’ of hydration and the moisturising fix that your face needs.