Adding volume to our tresses is something we all long for! We’ve found an all-natural ingredient to make your hair thick, without any side effects, no matter what your hair type is. We’re talking about coconut milk and once you read it’s benefits, diy recipes to make it at home, the ways you can apply it – we are sure this coconutty goodness will be your new summer favourite!
Coconut milk for hair – the game changer
You may have heard of coconut oil and its benefits on your skin and hair! However, there’s a magical by-product of coconuts you’re missing - the milk! What is coconut milk? Is coconut milk good for hair growth? Allow us to answer all your questions and help you discover this lesser-known part of coconuts as a new ingredient for your hair care.
What is coconut milk?
Inside the coconut shell, you’ll find coconut water which is a cooling summer drink, a favourite for most of us. When a coconut is split open, you’ll see white creamy-textured flesh in the shell , which is mixed with water to make coconut milk.
How to make coconut milk at home?
Go for ripe or matured coconuts and follow the extraction process for homemade coconut milk.
Step 1: Grate the fresh coconut very finely
Step 2: Boil two cups of water
Step 3: Add the grated coconut to the boiled water and let it soak for five minutes
Step 4: Strain this mixture using a muslin cloth, into another bowl
Step 5: Press the muslin cloth to squeeze out the coconut milk
Step 6: Allow this coconut milk extraction to cool overnight
You are now ready to use this mixture as coconut milk good for hair treatments!
What are coconut milk benefits for hair?
Coconuts bring goodness in abundance! And using coconut milk for hair, skin, and nails can help you keep them in good shape.
Coconut milk benefits for hair are:
- Lauric acid, in coconut milk, is a fatty acid that can easily penetrate through your hair and strengthen your follicles
- Keratin is what our hair is made up of and this protein needs to be supplemented by other proteins, which richly make up coconut milk (drink it, apply it, experience it)
- Vitamin-rich coconut milk keep your hair healthy, strong, and moisturised with micronutrient and antioxidant properties
- It helps reduce split ends, reduce hair damage, and rejuvenate dry hair with its natural, moisturising properties
- This is one ingredient that works for all hair types! Not only types, it also suits all textures
How to use coconut milk for hair care?
- Apply Thick Coconut Milk
How to make coconut milk and apply? While the homemade coconut milk recipe shared above is to get you started, these are some steps you can take to apply the coconut milk on your hair.
- Keep some coconut milk in your fridge overnight
- When you take it out the next morning, the texture will be thicker
- On wet hair and a damp scalp, apply the thick coconut milk
- Let it sit for one hour and wash it off with shampoo and water
Apply this coconut milk hair mask once or twice a week for your hair to grow longer, healthier, and smoother.
- Aloe Vera and Coconut Milk for Hair Growth
How to use coconut milk on hair with aloe vera for hair growth?
- In a blender, mix three tablespoons of coconut milk with one tablespoon aloe vera gel
- Apply the mixture from root to tip – massage it into your scalp, apply onto the length of your hair, and cover your strands
- Let this mask sit for 30 minutes and wash it off with shampoo and water
Apply the coconut milk and aloe vera hair mask twice a week for best results!
- Lemon Juice and Coconut Milk for Hair Growth
How to use coconut milk on hair with lemon juice for hair growth?
- In a bowl, add six tablespoons of coconut milk and five of lemon juice
- For seven hours, refrigerate this mixture to turn it into curdled milk
- Once curdled, apply the creamy mixture on your hair and scalp, and massage using your fingertips
- Leave the mask on for approximately 30 minutes and wash it off with shampoo and water
Apply the coconut milk and lemon mask once or twice a week a week for effective results.
- Raw Honey, Olive Oil and Coconut Milk for Hair Growth
How to make coconut milk with raw honey, and olive oil for hair growth?
- In a bowl, mix two tablespoons of coconut milk with a tablespoon each of raw honey and olive oil
- Once you apply this mixture over your hair and scalp, allow it to sit for 30 minutes before you rinse it off with shampoo and water
Apply this great hair pack with coconut milk once or twice a week for visible hair growth and health.
If you swear by coconuts for your hair, in addition to the coconut milk you make at home, this oil will complement the benefits! Coco Soul’s Extra Virgin King Coconut Based Oil is your secret to voluminous, thick, and bouncy hair all year round. This Ayurvedic coconutty goodness is all the hydration your hair needs.
Ever wondered if coconut-based oil is a celebrity-favourite too? We did some research and the actress from Ram Leela, Bajirao Mastani and Padmaavat does! Deepika Padukone’s tresses are a result of deep conditioning massages with coconut oil, as said in an interview with DNA India.
Frequently Asked Questions on Coconut Milk for Hair (FAQs)
Why is coconut so good for your hair?If you’re ’nuts’ about hair goals, coconuts are your go-to source! It’s an all-natural hydration boost, moisturiser, nourisher, conditioner, and gentle savior. Coconut oil penetrates 90 percent into your hair strands and repairs damaged hair by reversing almost 50 percent of the structural damage caused. Moreover, lauric acid in the oil derived from coconuts binds the proteins in your hair and scalp, protecting the roots as well as preventing breakage.
Can you leave coconut milk in your hair?If coconut milk is being used as a leave-in conditioner, then you can leave it in your hair all day long. Applying it every day will also give your hair a deep conditioning, especially when leading up to a special occasion. However, if the roots of your hair or scalp is prone to getting oily fast, you may want to avoid this and leave it on for just 30 minutes as per the standard application. If your ends are dry, the coconut milk can be sprayed as a leave-in conditioner for the whole day, just on the ends.
How does coconut milk help hair?The combination of natural fatty acids, powerful nutrients, vitamins, and a conditioner-like texture make coconut milk good for hair. Your scalp is nourished with the required ingredients and hair follicles strengthened with the binding properties of lauric acid, present in coconuts. The magic of coconut milk is best seen (or felt) with an overnight mask of warmed coconut milk – lustrous, healthy, and strong hair. These are some of the key coconut milk benefits for hair.