Dandruff is as grave an issue for the hair as pimples are for the skin. Many factors may lead to dandruff, like unhealthy eating habits, stress, less intake of water, medical conditions, weather conditions, and more. Moreover, chemically-treated hair care products can also lead to harsh and adverse effects on your scalp.
While there are multiple ways to treat it, the ancient techniques of Ayurveda have a breakthrough treatment for dandruff. Ayurvedic remedies are extracted through plants and herbs, making them harmless with fewer side effects. Using ayurveda for dandruff problems is not something new. A simple home remedy for dandruff is to massage your head with herbal oils can be extremely effective.
Ayurvedic dandruff natural remedies have proven to be most effective and timeless. If you are willing to give this ancient Indian practice a shot, read on to find out how ayurveda-inspired home remedies for dandruff can come to your rescue. But first, let’s understand the ayurvedic explanation behind dandruff.
Ayurvedic explanation for dandruff
According to Ayurveda, dandruff is caused due to an imbalance of the three “doshas” - vata, pita and kapha. Due to the imbalance of these doshas, a pollutant called “Ama'' disturbs the tissue of the scalp, causing dandruff.
The role of ayurvedic treatment for dandruff is to eliminate “Ama” and other toxins with the help of herbs and plants.
Benefits of using ayurvedic remedies to remove dandruff over chemical shampoos
Chemical-based shampoos not only damage your hair but are very harmful for your scalp as well. They contain parabens, phthalates, and more, which are toxic for your hair. Such shampoos may give you promising results, but only temporarily. In fact, the chemicals used in these shampoos may lead to long-term adverse results for your hair health.
However, ayurvedic or herbal shampoos are devoid of toxic ingredients and give fruitful results in the long run.
Best home remedies for dandruff
In this section, we will discuss dandruff removal home remedies and herbs that will provide gentle care to your scalp.
The following methods are simple but efficient ways of ayurvedic dandruff treatment:
1. Fenugreek seeds
Methi or fenugreek seeds are excellent for hair loss and dandruff. This ingredient has antibacterial properties that help combat flakes and nourish your scalp and is one of the best remedy for dandruff.
- Soak a few fenugreek seeds overnight
- Grind the seeds into a fine paste
- Apply this paste generously on your scalp
- After 30 minutes, wash your hair with a mild shampoo
- You can also mix yoghurt or lime juice into the methi paste for better results
2. Neem leaves
Neem is the most prominent ingredient in Ayurveda as it helps cure many ailments. Known for its antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties, neem helps eliminate bacteria, nourish your scalp, and prevent dandruff.
- Soak neem leaves in water and boil them. Let it cool and rinse your hair with this water
- You can also add finely ground neem leaves to curd. Apply this paste on your hair and scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Then wash it off with water. This method not only removes dandruff but will also condition your hair
- Another simple method is to apply neem oil to your hair at night and wash it in the morning
Lemon is known for its antioxidant properties. It contains vitamin C and zinc. The citric acid present in lemon juice reduces the production of excess oil on your scalp, which is one of the primary reasons behind dandruff. Moreover, its antifungal properties help eliminate dandruff naturally.
- Squeeze out one tablespoon of lemon juice. Add the same amount of olive oil and ginger juice. Massage the lemon mix into your scalp. Wash off the mixture after leaving it on for an hour
- Another way to use lemon juice for dandruff is to mix it with equal parts coconut oil. Massage your scalp gently with this oil mix before washing your hair
Amla or Indian gooseberry is best known for its goodness in vitamin C. It is chock-full of antibacterial properties that kill bacteria and rid your scalp of dandruff.
- Grind dry amla and tulsi leaves into a fine powder. Make a thick paste by adding some water. Apply this mixture to your scalp and leave it for 30 minutes. Wash it off with plain water or a mild shampoo
- You can also use coconut oil with amla powder to massage your scalp. Leave it overnight and wash your hair in the morning
5. Aloe vera
Aloe vera is another useful ingredient used in some home remedies for dandruff. It has antibacterial properties and cooling properties that help soothe and calm the skin with its cooling properties.
- Take one aloe vera leaf and extract its gel. Apply this gel to your scalp and leave it overnight. Wash your hair in the morning.
6. Apple cider vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is another ingredient which can be the best remedy for dandruff. It has strong antifungal properties that can help you get rid of dandruff. It also helps in balancing the pH value of your scalp.
- Mix three spoons of apple cider vinegar with equal amounts of water. Apply the mixture to your scalp and leave it for a few minutes. Then, wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Nature has a solution to all our problems
Ayurveda has offered tried-and-true natural hair and skincare remedies for centuries. Best of all, you can source the ingredients from your pantry or garden to whip up the anti-dandruff recipes.
If you are looking for a dandruff-free scalp, then ayurveda offers a plethora of natural remedies that can be applied topically. For added benefits and to enhance your scalp health, massage your hair with Coco Soul Virgin Coconut Oil. Loaded with the goodness of fresh coconuts, regular use of this hair oil can prevent dandruff and other infectious hair conditions
For other dandruff natural remedies that are both simple and easy to use, visit our website
Frequently Asked Questions
How can ayurveda remove dandruff?Ayurveda is a method that can constitute the best remedy for dandruff. It helps in eliminating the imbalance of the three doshas termed kapha, vata, and pita that symbolise stickiness. This way, it can help provide your scalp and hair with the nourishment it requires.
Which ayurvedic oil is best for dandruff?Bhringraj oil is the best-known oil for dry scalp and dandruff. This is because it effectively removes dandruff from your hair by tackling flakes and dead skin on the scalp.
Does drinking water reduce dandruff?Yes, drinking a sufficient amount of water prevents a dry and patchy scalp, thereby reducing dandruff. It is advisable to drink 7-8 glasses of water every day to supplement any ayurvedic dandruff treatment you are undergoing.