Dry shampoo has truly been a savior for us whenever we need a quick fix on a greasy or bad hair day, for impromptu plans between hair wash routines and also on those lazy days when you just can’t wash your hair. What is dry shampoo and how does it work? Let’s take a look at what this powdered texture in a shampoo bottle can do for your hair, and how you can maximise the benefits of a dry shampoo.
What Is Dry Shampoo?
Imagine how tired you would be after a workout session, or commuting to work on a humid day, or starting your day after a restless night – now, would you invest your time, energy, and effort into cleansing your hair well? We didn’t think so. Enter: dry shampoo. This quick fix is applied in place of your regular shampoo and does not need to be rinsed off with water. Although not a permanent replacement for regular shampoo, since it does leave some buildup, dry shampoo is still a super convenient option to get rid of excess oil and dirt from your scalp without water.
What Does Dry Shampoo Do?
- Hair enhancement – Dry shampoo can enhance your hair to make it look shiny, and feel clean. If you’re looking for a ‘quick-fix’ for your hair, something that you can just quickly apply and step out for the day, then you should try dry shampoo.
- Longevity – Skip washing your hair every day when you use dry shampoo. You can schedule your hair washes and thoroughly cleanse the hair with liquid shampoo and conditioner to get rid of the powdery build up of dry shampoo on alternative days. Dry shampoo comes in handy when you need to push this off for a little while longer.
- Caring on the move – Using a product that you can just swiftly apply to your hair, without having to wash or double wash it, is the fastest way you can cleanse your hair. Whether it is in the morning, before you head out, or in a restroom in your office or even at the airport, revive your hair instantly by using dry shampoo.
- Smells divine – Since this is a product that is made with fragrant ingredients, it is a soothing scent keeping you calm all day long. Chemical fragrances are a strict ‘no’ for any part of your body, so we recommend natural scents like grapefruit, lemon, lavender, and other therapeutic fragrances.
Is Dry Shampoo Bad For Your Hair?
While dry shampoo is an ideal quick fix and taking the internet by storm, it could be a challenge in the long term. After all, no product is perfect! You’ve already read the dry shampoo benefits listed above, so you know it isn’t all that bad. However, on the flip side, here are some of the cons to give you a wider perspective of the product:
- Dandruff – When we use a regular shampoo or liquid shampoo, it tends to strip our hair off the natural moisture existing in our scalp. This is controlled by using a natural hair cleanser, which not only cleanses the hair but also hydrates it. However, with dry shampoo, the same risk of losing your hair’s natural oils persists when your hair dries out. This can lead to itchiness, a dry scalp, and dandruff.
- Ingredients – Reading the label of any personal care product has become the norm today and rightly so. Knowing what goes into the product, and eventually onto your skin and scalp, and into your body is extremely important. Since dry shampoo is essentially a powder, it is presumably made using ingredients that are processed. A natural hair care product can help you counter this by gently, naturally nourishing your hair instead of harming it.
- Dusty hair – Once again, the powdered texture of dry shampoo isn’t like our regular shampoo. This can leave your hair looking dusty, with residue left on your scalp. Talc is an ingredient that often gives this texture and it is not safe or suitable for a healthy scalp.
- Flaky texture – The odd texture of dry, dusty, and dandruff-prone hair can look flat and flaky. While the natural oils of your hair are helped with a dry shampoo, the oils could get absorbed by the shampoo if left in for too long. This could worsen the texture of your hair.
Let these disadvantages not steer you away completely from dry shampoo – there’s always ways to use them to our advantage!
Regular Shampoo Vs. Dry Shampoo
Now that you are aware of the many dry shampoo benefits as well as challenges, is dry shampoo better than regular shampoo? It’s not a simple yes or no! While dry shampoo can be your saviour from a bad hair day, it should not be a substitute for your regular shampoo. It does freshen, quick-fix, and enhance your hair, but the nourishment, hydration, and moisturisation that a regular shampoo wash can give your hair is also needed. The solution? Use them together!
To maximise the benefits of a dry shampoo, use it with a natural, lightweight, and hydration hair cleanser. Here’s what your hair cleanser or shampoo should ideally feel like:
- It should give your hair and scalp the nourishment of potent ingredients, sourced from nature’s goodness .
- A good cleanse is a must when you shampoo your hair, and a natural or herb-infused shampoo can make this experience even more nourishing.
- Using a hair cleanser with a lightweight formula can allow it to gently seep into your scalp and hair shafts, repairing it from root to tip.
- Hydrating is the most important requirement for a regular shampoo to be used along with a dry one. The cleanser you opt for must moisturise and hydrate your hair, without drying out or stripping it of its natural oils.
Coco Soul’s Hair and Scalp Cleanser is a great option, encompassing all of the qualities listed above. It is a lightweight, super hydrating formula in a bottle of organic goodness that is inspired from the world of ancient ayurveda. Rich in virgin coconut oil, it penetrates ten layers deep into your scalp giving it the required nourishment and hydration. The shampoo is a composition of nature’s wonder herbs like godapara and kikirindiya. In addition to being 100% vegan, organic, and cruelty free, it is also certified by Made Safe, making it the ideal choice for you!
What are you waiting for? Get your hair care fix in this combination of dry shampoo and herbal shampoo. For more, check out Coco Soul’s hair care products in their wide range of kindness-inspired hair care for you! Read this article to understand why it is so important to use paraben and sulphate free shampoos.
Frequently Asked Questions on Dry Shampoo (FAQs)
Is dry shampoo better than regular shampoo?Dry shampoo is a great choice for a quick hair care fix, or to be used when you are crunched on time. However, for regular use, it is advisable to use it along with a regular shampoo – use the dry shampoo for a maximum of two consecutive days and then cleanse your hair with a shampoo, preferably a natural or herbal one.
What does dry shampoo do? Is it OK to not wash your hair?It is absolutely okay to not wash your hair, which is where dry shampoo comes in. It cleanses your scalp without having to indulge in a time-consuming hair wash. However, once a week you must wash your hair with a regular shampoo to ensure the moisture is retained.
What are dry shampoo benefits over liquid shampoo?The benefits are majorly for people who are always on the move, find it difficult to wash their hair often, or are looking for a fast solution to care for their hair. What is dry shampoo, if not your saviour from a bad hair day? Get started now!