Is your hair losing its shine with every wash? If you’ve started experiencing dry and damaged hair after a number of hair washes, chances are that you’re washing your hair with hard water. Often, ‘hard water hair’ can be very frustrating to deal with. Even after trying out a plethora of hair care treatments, a lot of people continue to experience hard water hair loss. However, there’s nothing to worry about! We’re here to help you with some effective solutions to treat hard water hair damage. But first, let’s understand what hard water is and why is hard water bad for hair?
What is Hard Water?
When water filters through rocks, soil and even sand, it collects salts like calcium and magnesium. This water is called hard water, meaning rich in salts and impurities. Hard water can react with shampoos and conditioners and reduce their effectiveness.
Does Hard Water Damage Your Hair?
After learning hard water meaning, ‘how is hard water bad for hair?’ Well, every time you wash your hair with hard water, it forms a build-up of salts and impurities in your scalp. This makes your hair rough and dry. Here are some of the ways hard water could be damaging your hair:
Hard water effects on hair
- It leaves your hair dull and frizzy. This increases breakage and can lead to significant hair loss.
- Your hair loses its critical moisture after coming in contact with hard water, meaning it becomes dry and breakable.
- Washing hair with hard water can cause dirt to deposit on your scalp that causes itching, irritation and dandruff.
Hard Water Damage Control
From dehydrating to discolouring, hard water can do long-term damage to your hair. Many women also experience thinning of hair due to hard water hair damage. Washing hair with hard water can cause severe hair loss. If you’re looking for a solution for hard water hair loss, these tips should do the trick.
Use a sulphate-free shampoo- The first step to treat hard water hair is to start at the roots. Use a sulphate-free shampoo that will remove mineral build-up from your scalp and cleanse your hair without removing critical moisture. One such shampoo, which will undo the hard water effects on hair, is the Coco Soul Cleansing Shampoo. Your search for the best shampoo for hard water ends here. This hair cleanser effectively cleanses your hair while balancing the scalp’s natural oil to revive the hair damaged by hard water. The ayurvedic shampoo is paraben and sulphate-free.
- Give your scalp some juice- Apple cider vinegar, lemon or lime juice are nothing short of magical elixirs for your hair. They not only cleanse your hair off dirt and germs, but they also do so in the most gentle and effective manner.
Method- Mix a tablespoon of citrus juice with three cups of purified bottled water and apply the solution to your wet hair and scalp. Leave it on for five minutes, then rinse thoroughly. This is an effective way to treat hard water hair using organic ingredients.
As an alternative, you can also try nourishing, low pH hair masks at least two times every week for hard water hair treatment.
- Install a water softener shower head- You can use a water softener that removes salts and impurities from hard water. While soft water would still contain some minerals, the concentration is nowhere near as high as hard water. You can also try to wash your hair with purified bottled water. This will reduce the hard water effects on hair.
Haircare Routine To Treat Damage Caused By Hard Water
The mane on your head is often the most beautiful and outstanding feature that you can flaunt. Hence, in order to minimise the damage, it’s always advised to make the switch from hard water to a more suitable composition of water. However, if showering with hard water seems like the only option for you, here are a three tips for washing hair in hard water that you can incorporate in your hair care routine today itself-
- Washing- If possible, try to shower or bathe with cold water to seal your cuticles. This will prevent hard water hair loss.
- Shampooing- You can use a herbal shampoo, sulphate-free that removes hard water debris gently yet effectively. We recommend rinsing it with the Coco Soul Shampoo and fuelling your hair with its ayurvedic goodness.
- Conditioning- Use a nourishing conditioner to restore moisture to your hair and repair hard water hair. After washing it with your Coco Soul Shampoo, massage your tips with the Coco Soul Conditioner, to seal in the look.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
How can I protect my hair from hard water?There are plenty of ways you can protect your hair from hard water. Sulphate-free shampoo is the best shampoo for hard water damage control. It will cleanse your hair from the impurities of hard water without removing the critical moisture of your hair.
Is hard well water bad for your hair?Yes, hard well water is bad for you. However, you can take care of this by using a nourishing hair mask or by rinsing your hair with apple cider vinegar and purified water.
Is hard water hair loss reversible?Yes, you might be able to repair and regrow your hair if it is damaged by hard water. You can repair the damage and hair loss caused by hard water through easy solutions and tips for washing hair in hard water. We’ve covered it in detail for you!
Now that you know all about hard water hair treatment, you can change up your hair care routine to prevent further damage. We believe that mother nature has the solution to all your problems, including the haircare mishaps caused by hard water. Just like always, we’d recommend you to stick to herbal, sulphate-free shampoos and naturally acidic rinses, and wait for your hair to turn bouncy and shiny in no time!