- How to use baby massage oil?
- When to use baby massage oil?
- Benefits of baby massage oil
- Baby Massage Tips
- Frequently asked questions about Baby Massage Tips
There are numerous benefits of using baby massage oil – it softens the skin, relaxes your baby and aids in overall development. However, many parents face issues when it comes to using a baby massage oil – how should you use the massage oil? When should you use it? Should you even use it at all? – these are all common queries.
However, we say fret not since we have answered these questions. Simply read on to know more.
How To Use Baby Massage Oil?
A baby’s skin is sensitiveand fragile. A baby massage oil is an excellent way to not only strengthen their skin tissues but also protect them from any superficial damage. Of course, to give a good massage experience, it is important as a parent that you know how to use a baby massage oil.
To give you a few tips:
- Heat the baby massage oil slightly and rub it between your palms before you start massaging your baby. A warm touch makes them feel nurtured.
Try to be extremely selective when it comes to your baby massage oil. It should ideally be chemical free, lightweight and easily absorbed by the skin. The Coco Soul Baby Massage Oil with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil & Ayurvedic Oil is a crowd favourite with many parents. Based on the shishu abhyanga ayurvedic principles, this oil is made with the goodness of extra virgin coconut oil, flaxseed oil, wheatgerm oil and shea butter. It is an organic oil which softens the skin, soothes diaper rashes, promotes circulation, strengthens the tissues and basically works on the wholesome health of your child. Trust us when we say that you cannot go wrong with this baby massage oil!
Confused between a few options? Read all about the benefits of coconut oil for baby massages here!
When To Use Baby Massage Oil?
There is no right, or wrong, time to use massage oil on your baby. It all depends on the health and sensitivity of your child. Many parents begin giving their baby oil massages within a week of their birth, while others prefer to wait at least 2 – 3 months. As per many midwives, the whole idea of an oil massage is to relax your baby, focus on strengthening their skin tissues and make them familiar with your touch. It is your discretion to do as you deem fit, keeping in mind the comfort of your child.
That said, if you are giving your baby an oil massage and wondering what hour of the day would be ideal for the same, then we’ve got your back. A good time for massage is when your baby is awake, before bedtime, or even after a bath. Avoid giving a massage immediately post feeding.
Benefits Of Using A Baby Massage Oil
- Promotes blood circulation in the body
- Helps with sleeping issues as it relaxes the baby
- Improves digestive system and reduces gas
- Aids in healthy weight gain
- Allows your baby to recognize your touch and form of bond of attachment
Baby Massage Tips
Following must be kept in mind while giving your little one an oil massage:
- Ensure that you create a calm and quiet environment for the massage. This allows your baby to unwind and enjoy their massage.
- Try to massage your baby at a time when they are awake and alert.
- Make sure that your massage strokes are rhythmic, circular and upward moving. Babies, especially new borns, must be treated to light touches which are warm and reassuring. Anything energetic may alarm your child.
- While not compulsory, it is recommended that you start the massage by massaging your baby’s tummy, their limbs, back and then the neck and head.
- Pay attention to your baby’s reaction to the massage. Commonly, massages are considered ideal but if your child is uncomfortable or unusually fussy, stop immediately.
- Your baby massages should not last for more than 15 minutes. Infants cannot handle stimulation longer than that.
- Lastly, talk to your baby, hum softly to them and enjoy this wonderful time!
To sum it all up, baby oil massages are just another way to bond and communicate with your little one. It is just a side bonus that baby oil massages also have a positive impact on the overall development on your infant’s health. You can also follow this baby massage guide for more help!
Frequently Asked Questions About Baby Massage Tips
How to massage a newborn baby?As per midwives and doctors, you can begin massaging your newborn a few weeks after birth. Take a little baby massage oil in your palms and start with your baby’s chest, their arms, neck, head and then move onto the legs. Use slow and gentle rhythmic strokes while massaging your little one. Make sure that the massage does not last for more than 15 minutes.
Is massage good for a newborn baby?Just like adults, babies also enjoy massages, and for good reason – they are an excellent way to relax and soothe the senses. When it comes to your little one, a massage has many benefits. It helps in weight gain for premature babies, relieving colicky symptoms, aiding blood circulation, easing teething pains etc. As an added bonus, it is also a great bonding exercise between you and your baby.
When to use massage oil for babies?
The timing of choosing when to use massage oil for a baby totally depends on you and your little one. There are no rules set in stone. That said, medical experts opine that it is best to wait at least two weeks before you start using oil to massage your baby. Further, your baby’s reaction to a massage, skin sensitivity and allergies also need to be taken into consideration. Our advice, do what you feel is best for your child, be safe and have fun!