Working out or exercising can uplift your mood and give you a radiant glow after each session. Why? Because it improves the circulation of your blood, thereby improving the health of your skin. However, the flip side of exercising is acne – the word we’re all deeply scared of. In this article, allow us to take you through the best post-workout skin care and pre-workout skin care routines to make the most of your workout sessions.
How Does Exercise Help Your Skin?
Imagine this: You walked on the treadmill or in a park for almost 30 minutes. How do you feel? You’re sweating all over, your heart is beating faster than ever, and you’re feeling more energised than ever. How does your skin feel? Your skin is your body’s largest organ, and your skin glowing with radiance means exercise has impacted it positively. Listed below are the different ways working out can impact your skin, both positively and negatively.
How working out can help your skin:
- Stress-relief is one of the most common reasons people head to the gym after a tiring, long day. The release of tension can improve your mental health, and in turn, your skin. You stress less, you keep acne away!
- Other scientific benefits of working out include improving your heart health, enhancing blood circulation, and providing the right amount of oxygen to your skin. This ensures your skin receives its dosage of nutrients, produces more collagen, and the new skin cells keep your skin feeling and looking happy.
- Working out releases the ‘feel-good hormone’, endorphin which makes us feel happier, and high on energy. While leaving the gym, or after completing your yoga session, walk or run, you see an afterglow. This is real – your skin glows, because of the increased blood flow.
Working out also comes with its pros and cons. We are only human, and our bodies are all different. Sometimes, exercising can cause acne. Sometimes, it can harm your skin as much as it helps your body.
How working out can harm your skin:
- Do you exercise outdoors, under the sun? The direct sun exposure for a prolonged period can cause dry, damaged skin. The ultraviolet rays of the sun give rise to redness, rashes, and other skin issues. You can use these homemade sunscreen recipes and tips to protect yourself from UV rays while working out.
- When you work out, different parts of your body like your inner thighs tend to rub into each other, or onto external surfaces. This traps the moisture and causes friction in various folds of your skin. Chafing and rashes are the result of this excessive sweat in the folds.
- Rosacea is a skin condition that makes the area under your eyes and around your nose flush with redness. This isn’t ‘blushing’ that we’d welcome as a compliment, but pus-filled bumps that could flare up for weeks. Exercising tends to worsen rosacea.
- Sweat, if left on your skin for too long, can lead to bacteria buildup and clogged pores. This could make your skin sensitive, and prone to acne and breakouts.
Whether your skin is sensitive, dry, oily, combination type or normal, not following the right skincare steps before and after a workout can harm your skin. Are you passionate about fitness or work out regularly? Read on to know how you can protect your skin before a workout, during the workout, and how to take care of your skin post working out.
Does Working Out Cause Acne?
A hot, sweaty workout session can leave your skin glowing – this temporary afterglow may not instantly show how your skin is being affected on a deeper level. While your body benefits from the exercise, your skin could be paying the price and breaking out. We’ve rounded up some skincare tips you can keep in mind, to ensure your skin is taken care of while you indulge in exercise.
Natural Skin Care Tips For A Pre-Workout Routine
Follow these steps for pre workout skin care:
- Use a mild face wash to cleanse your face, as this can help clean away any dirt, impurities, or wash off your makeup residue. If any of these particles are on your skin when you exercise, they can clog your pores and trap the sweat in.
- The next step is preparing your skin for the dehydration your skin may feel when you work out. This is done by moisturising your face, especially your lips – as they may feel dry after you work out.
- If you stray away from a gym and prefer running or doing yoga under the sun, sunscreen is a must! Protect your skin from the sun’s UV rays with a cream with an SPF (sun protection factor) of minimum 30.
- An antiperspirant is not only helpful to keep you smelling good in the gym, but also to protect you from bacteria and germs – like when you apply a roll on to your underarms.
Natural Skin Care Tips During The Workout
Follow these steps to protect your skin while you exercise:
- The bacteria from your sweaty and dirty hands can transfer easily when you clean, wipe, or touch your face.
- Carry a small, soft towel for your work out session. Make sure to wipe off the sweat with this towel, instead of rubbing your face or skin on your clothes.
Natural Skin Care Tips For A Post-Workout Routine
Follow these steps for post workout skin care:
- Cleanse your skin, again. This time, you are doing it to ensure the bacteria does not stay in your pores. Use cold water, a mild cleanser, and wash off the dirt, sweat, and oil.
- Your body needs cooling after you exercise – you will understand this if you’ve felt your body burning up after a heavy work out session, sweating it out and feeling the adrenaline. Take a cold shower to wash away the heat, sweat, and dirt, and using a soothing shower gel is ideal.
- Use a moisturiser to lock in the hydration in your body. You’re now fresh, energised, and your skin is glowing, and healthy.
Make this experience soft on your skin, with products that are inspired by nature. While you push your limits when you exercise, allow organic skincare to gently take care of your skin. Coco Soul’s wide range of natural skincare has you covered! The products listed below are just what you need before, and after a workout session.
Coco Soul Face Wash – It is crafted with ancient Ayurvedic wisdom, the goodness of Virgin King Coconut Oil, and the magic of gotukola and neem! The cruelty-free and chemical-free cleanser is your skin's new best friend. The ingredients used to create this natural face wash off dirt and other impurities from your face without making it dry. Certified by Made Safe, it revitalises your facial skin by giving it a fresh and radiant look.
Coco Soul Shower Gel – Free from silicone and paraben, this natural shower gel cleanses, purifies, and rejuvenates damaged skin. It is 100% vegan, powered with the goodness of Virgin King Coconut Oil, and the magic of turmeric and gotukola! The infused herbs deeply cleanse your skin without causing any lingering dryness. This natural shower gel exudes an invigorating aroma and has a light texture. This makes it ideal for daily use.
Frequently Asked Questions on workout skincare (FAQs)
What should I put on my face after a workout?Your skin care after a workout should include a mild face cleanser for your facial skin, and a shower gel for your body. The face wash removes the sweat, dirt, and excess oil from your skin.
Should I wash my face after I work out?In your post workout skincare routine, make sure a cleanser is included. Use cold water to wash your face, to give an instant refreshing feeling. This helps soothe your skin after a heat-inducing, sweaty workout.
Does working out cause acne?After you work out, your skin exudes a natural, radiant glow. However, if you regularly exercise and ignore your skin care, it can cause acne. This is because sweat can stay on your skin, making your pores get clogged with dirt and impurities in the form of bacteria that can harm your skin in the long run. Indulge in pre workout skin care, and you will see how acne is prevented from this afterglow.