Anything that goes wrong with skin gives us nightmares and sleepless nights. And now that summers are here and you’re planning to step out, the idea of returning with tanned skin might be haunting you.
While it’s good to apply sunscreen and follow a skincare routine to limit any damage to your skin, when it comes to tan removal, some additional help can work wonders. We’re talking about whipping up some DIY home remedies using natural ingredients for tan removal at home.
Why does skin get tanned?
Just understanding or looking for some home remedies for tanned skin is not enough if you're not aware of the reason behind the sun tanned skin. So, let’s first understand why our skin gets tanned. The ultraviolet rays of the sun are harmful to the skin. These UV sun rays enter the innermost layer of the skin, promoting the formation of melanin in the cell, which leads to tanning. In simpler words, direct sun rays cause our skin to look tanned and dull. But people with sensitive skin get more skin tanned. Basically, there are two major causes of suntan:
UVA Exposure- The most hazardous factor that causes sun-tanned skin is the UVA Exposure rays. These rays reach the deeper layer of the skin and cause cellular damage. Melanocytes produce melanin, which further leads to browned and dark skin appearance.
UVB Exposure- Another major cause of skin tan is UVB Exposure, which burns the upper skin layers. Though it doesn't produce melanocytes, it causes DNA damage that leads to an increase in melanin synthesis.
Best home remedies to remove skin tanning
Are you tired of removing tan from the sun-tanned skin? You must probably be looking for ways to remove tan. Aren't you? Have you been trying out all the chemical products and superficial methods and still left with no results?
If despite using countless chemical-laden products, your skin continues to look tanned, maybe it’s time to switch your skincare game. How about giving a chance to some ingredients lying around in your kitchen. We’re talking about the tan removal home remedies that are not only easy to follow but also less time consuming :
- Take one tablespoon of lemon juice and add honey to it.
- Apply it gently to your skin.
- Leave it for half an hour before rinsing it off with water.
Caution! Some people are allergic to citrus products, especially in the summer- so check carefully whether your skin reacts to lemon juice during summer. If yes, then don’t go with this one, but check for the other remedies for tan removal at home mentioned below.
- Turmeric and Besan face pack.
- Besan ( Bengal gram flour)
- Take two tablespoons of besan and add a pinch of turmeric to it.
- Add some milk and one tbsp of rose water, then mix it well.
- Once the paste is made, apply this pack smoothly to your face. You can also gently massage by sprinkling some water (if the pack gets dried on the face).
- Let it sit for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with cold water.
- Sandalwood powder
- Coconut water
- Take one tablespoon of sandalwood powder and add some coconut water.
- Mix it well and make a fine paste.
- Now, apply this to your face and let it dry.
- Then, rinse it off with cold water.
Prevention is better than cure (how to prevent suntan)
The intensive heat of the skin not only causes skin tan but can also lead to serious problems such as skin cancer if no proper sun tan removal measures are taken. So some other ways of preventing skin tan are:
- Other than home remedies for tanned skin, the safest and easiest way to prevent skin tanning is by avoiding going out during peak hours i.e. between 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Another way to prevent damage to the skin is to apply Ayurvedic sun tan removal creams or products. For the best benefits, you can use the body buttercream by Coco Soul, which comes with the benefits of shea butter, Lodhra, and virgin king coconut oil, helping your skin have a smooth, shining and everlasting glow. The body lotion is free from all sorts of chemicals that can cause harm to your skin.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
- Stay out of the sun, and when walking outside, wear sunscreen and protective clothing. And not just your face, but you should also take care of your hands as they too are equally exposed to the sun. You can use the Ayurvedic hand cream by CocoSoul to prevent skin tan from your hands. This cream is packed with the herbal benefits of Vetiver, Indian Rose Chestnut, and virgin king coconut oil to keep your skin away from harmful chemical effects.
Sun-tanned skin is a growing problem everywhere. But achieving clear skin is no longer difficult by using these natural tan removal home remedies; you will surely see a change in the tan level as these remedies come with no harmful ingredients and are 100% natural and safe.
Now that you know how to treat tanned skin at home, go ahead and try these remedies. However, before you start trying them, we’d advise you to first understand your skin type, and consult with a dermatologist for further assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to remove sun tan at home?Normally it depends on the severity. Besides, it might take around 4 to 6 weeks to return to the original complexion with the help of remedies for tan removal at home.
Can I use coconut oil for tan removal?Yes, coconut oil is a great suntan removal remedy as it is easy and soothing to the skin. It comes with both antifungal and antimicrobial properties. It not only protects the skin from ultraviolet rays but also keeps the skin moisturized.
How can I remove sun tan overnight using home remedies?Firstly, it is important to understand that transformations don't happen overnight, especially if your skin is tanned a lot. Furthermore, to make a difference overnight, the best tan removal home remedy is to mix a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice and honey and apply it to your skin.
Apply the paste gently to your face and let it sit for an hour before rinsing it off with cold water. This paste is helpful for sun tan removal because lemon juice acts as a natural bleaching agent and honey provides moisture to the skin.