We all know how soothing it is to get your feet pampered in a salon with aromatic creams and relaxing foot massages. But frequent salon sessions can cost us a bomb, which is why we tend to reserve a pedicure session only when something special comes up. If you have tired-looking feet, or just want to indulge in a ‘me-day’ starting with some footcare, don’t wait for a special occasion to pamper them or book a salon appointment. Fortunately, you can follow some good foot care tips at the comfort of your home, at a cost much cheaper than a salon run.
Benefits of following a foot care routine
A foot care routine is the most important and the most neglected step in our self-care routine. We often slather creams and body butter over our face and body to protect our skin but forget about our feet nor make any efforts to keep them healthy and soft. Our feet go through a lot throughout the day and if you don’t tend to them with proper care, it will show its effects on your foot health sooner than you think. Ignoring your foot care comes with risks such as bacterial infections, corns, cracked heels, sore feet, blisters, and odour as well.
During the winters, your skin will become chapped and dry throughout the body and the feet will bear the brunt of it as well. But do not fret! We are here with some foot care tips and routine you need to follow to get the feet of your dreams. So, go grab your pedicure supply and let the pampering begin.
Pedicure supply you need:
- Nail polish remover
- Cuticle oil
- Nail kit including a nail clipper, file and buffer
- Q-tips and cotton pads
- Foot file or pumice stone
- Foot cream for soft feet
- Base & top nail coat
- Nail enamel
Foot Care Routine Step #1: Prep your nails
Before you go all out with your pedicure station, it is important to start off with a fresh base. If you have remnants of any nail enamels, this is the time to get it all off.
- Soak some cotton pads in nail polish remover
- Gently place the pad on your nails for a few second for the enamel to break down on its own
- Gently swipe away all the enamel and apply some cuticle oil to soften the cuticles if the nail polish remover leaves them dry.
Foot Care Routine Step #2 : Indulge your feet in a short soak
Once we have clean nails, we can now move forward to caring for the sole. If you are new to pedicures, you will notice the skin of your feet is harder. You can soften the skin by soaking your feet in a tub of hot water as this is the easiest fix on how to keep your feet healthy and soft. You can either soak your feet in clean hot water or add some epsom salt. These salts are great exfoliators for the feet. You can rub your feet against each other on a regular interval to get the most of the epsom salt exfoliator during the soaking time. Leave your feet in the water for a minimum of 15 minutes.
Foot Care Routine Step #3: Slough away dead skin cells
When you soak your feet in hot water, it softens the hard layer of your skin, making it easier to slough away dead skin on the feet and heels and this is how to make feet soft easily.
- Once you are done with soaking your feet in the water, gently pat them dry
- With the use of a foot file or pumice stone, gently scrub away the dirt and dead skin
- Don’t exert too much pressure while scrubbing. The goal is to remove the dead skin and not end up bruising the feet
Foot Care Routine Step #4: Focus on your nails
Don’t just pamper your feet, focus on the nails too. When you indulge in a foot care session at home, it becomes imperative that you use only good quality nail clippers, files, and buffers and follow foot care tips for the nails too.
- Trim your nails to your desired length
- Get rid of any dirt from the corners of your nails
- File your nail to the desired shape
- Apply cuticle oil to nourish your nails
Foot Care Routine Step #5: Moisturise while skin is still damp
Use a gentle foot cream for soft feet that is free from harsh chemicals and begin massaging your feet thoroughly. This will hydrate your feet and soothe the skin from all the scrubbing and hot water soaks. Moisturise the skin while it’s still damp to get the most of your foot cream.Learn how to moisturise skin the right way using our blog as a guide. Once done, grab a cotton pad and wipe out any oil residue from your nails, which will help the nail polish have a better finish.
Foot Care Routine Step #6: Prep your nails
A soothing pedicure needs to be well-finished with a fresh coat of nail enamels.
- Apply a base coat of your choice and let it dry
- Apply two coats of nail paints and let it dry completely between each coats
- Layer your nail polish with a top coat to protect it from chipping
- Clean up the edges of the nails with Q-tips for a finer finish
Foot care tips:
- Before you begin your pedicure, carefully examine your feet and check if you have any cuts, bruises, inflammation. If yes, treat it well before you begin with the pedicure.
- Do not skip the base coat as it acts as a protective barrier between the natural oils of your skin and the nail polish.
- Moisturising your feet daily goes a long way. Foot cream benefits are way many to ignore therefore do not skip it, especially when your feet are tired.
- Avoid wearing tight-fitted shoes.
With the right routine and foot care tips, you will have your fresh, soft, and relaxed feet ready to take on the world without spending an extra buck at the salon.
You can also go the extra mile and indulge yourself with one of our ayurvedic skincare routines that leave your whole body smooth and glowing.
Once you are done with a pampering pedicure, it is always advised to maintain it and follow it up with regular use of foot creams. While picking your foot cream, you should opt for foot creams that are filled with the goodness of natural ingredients and are free from harsh chemicals. We recommend using Coco Soul foot cream. This foot cream penetrates deep into the skin and heals dry and cracked heels effectively. This foot cream contains ingredients such as neem, peppermint, and virgin coconut oil that will deeply nourish the feet and leave a cooling effect as well. If you are wondering how to keep your feet healthy and soft, lay your hands on these foot cream benefits today.
Frequently asked questions on foot care routine:
1.How to make feet soft?
Our feet generally dry out due to everyday chores and we often want to know how to get soft feet. Below are the easiest steps on how to make feet soft.
- Avoid foot cream with harsh chemicals and alcohol
- Use virgin coconut oil or a natural foot cream
- Exfoliate your feet using pumice stone few times through the week
2.How do you maintain your feet?
- Clean your feet thoroughly
- Always wear a fresh pair of socks
- Moisturise your feet regularly
- Wear the right footwear
3.What is a basic foot care routine?
- Soak your feet in warm water
- Slough away the dead skin cell with a pumice stone
- Apply soothing moisturisers
4.How to get soft feet with cream?
- Clean your feet and pat dry it
- Use a dime-sized foot cream and apply it thoroughly
- Massage the cream into your feet with circular motions
- Wear a pair of socks to keep your feet free from dirt
These are some easy steps on how to use foot cream.