Cool breeze on a winter day may sound all pleasant until you get hit by the thought of drying skin. With winter comes dry skin, chapped lips, flaky scalp, and cracked heels. But is there anything you can do to prevent or cure the winter skin woes? Yes! How to cure dry skin? Is it something you can do while sitting at home? Absolutely yes! There is nothing better than home remedies for dry skin to keep your skin happy and hydrated without being harsh on your skin.
We have enlisted our favourite seven natural DIY natural remedies for dry skin that you can easily try out today and learn how to cure dry skin.
Olive Oil Cleanser:
Thanks to its moisturising properties, olive oil can be a great dry skin natural treatment.
- Take a few drops of olive oil and dispense it onto your palms
- Gently apply it across your face and around the neck
- Dampen a clean cloth into hot/warm water and lay it over your face
- Once the cloth cools down, wipe off the excess oil and top it up with a moisturiser
Creamy Avocado Mask
Not only are they tasty and healthy to eat, avocados have nourishing benefits on the skin as well. And this is how you can create a nourishing mask to enjoy its goodness.
- Puree half an avocado and mix it with a teaspoon of coconut oil or olive oil
- If you have drier skin, you can add a tablespoon of honey as well
- Apply the face mask evenly across your face and neck
Leave the mask on for about 15 to 20 minutes and wash it off with lukewarm water
Using this face mask twice a week can leave your skin hydrated, supple, and fresh. This is one the easiest natural remedies for dry skin you can try at home.
Coconut Oil and Sugar Scrub
Dry skin is usually flaky and it is best to exfoliate it well. Combining coconut oil with sugar to make a scrub will be the perfect dry skin natural treatment.
- In a bowl, mix two tablespoons of sugar with one tablespoon of coconut oil
- Apply this scrub gently on cleansed skin. Make sure to make soft circular motions to avoid abrasions
- Wash it off with lukewarm water and top it off with a gentle moisturiser.
Coconut Oil Mask for Cracked Heels
Coconut oil as we know is extremely moisturising to dry skin. If you have cracked heels, apply a thick layer of the coconut oil to the affected areas and cover it up with socks.You must also check out our blog on skin care routine for dry skin to learn how to get rid of dry skin. Not only cracked heels, you can also apply coconut oil to your chapped lips to wake up to plump smooth lips.
Milk Compresses for Dry Irritated Skin
Milk has natural anti-inflammatory properties that are great to soothe your skin when irritated. Also a good source of lactic acid, milk makes up for a great exfoliator.
- To make your milk compressor, add cold milk in a bowl and soak a clean towel in it
- Gently wring the soaked towel to remove the excess milk, and place it on the affected areas for about 5 to 10 minutes
Aloe Vera Gel As A Soothing Cream
Besides soothing sunburns, aloe vera gel is also useful in calming irritation caused in the colder months. Aloe vera can even decrease acne breakouts and reduce skin redness and irritation associated with excess dryness. Apply a thick layer of aloe vera gel on affected areas. If you have irritated skin, it is best to refrigerate the gel before using it.
5 Expert Tips for Avoiding a Dry-Skin
Apart from these home remedies for dry skin, another way to keep your skin from drying out is to protect it. And you can do so by following these simple yet expert tips that will prevent your skin from becoming dry.
Moisturisation is the key
As you head out of the shower, make sure you slather on your favourite moisturiser. If it's daytime, stick to water- based moisturiser. During the night, you can opt for thicker body butters
Be gentle to your skin in the shower
- Avoid extreme hot shower
- Limit your shower to 10 minutes
- Use a mild cleanser to wash it off
- Don’t be harsh on your skin while scrubbing
Avoid harsh chemicals
Chemicals such as sulphate, parabens, silicones, etc., can all harm your skin as they are harsh chemicals. Opt for products that are filled with natural ingredients that are gentle on your skin.
- Drink and eat your water
Including vegetables and fruits that are high in water content in your meals can keep your skin hydrated from within. Drinking plenty of water also has its health benefits.
Dress for the season
Just as we apply sunscreen to be protected from the sun, we should wear warm clothes during the winter to keep our skin protected.Now that you've learnt about the natural remedies for dry skin, head over to our blog on summer skincare problems to learn how to fix and get rid of summer skin concerns.
Frequently Asked Questions on Dry Skin Remedies
What helps dry skin naturally?
- Avoid hot showers
- Limit your bathing time
- Use natural products
- Use water- based moisturisers
- Be consistent with a skincare routine
How do you treat extremely dry skin?If you have dry skin persistently, it is best to look for professional help. If it is mild dryness, you can treat it with natural remedies and over-the-counter medicines.
How can I get rid of dry skin on my face?
- Wash your face with a gentle cleanser.
- Do not miss your sunscreens
- Applying moisturiser after washing your face
- Staying hydrated by drinking plenty of water.