Our two cents from ancient Ayurvedic wisdom when it comes to bathing with oil is ‘Abhyangam’. It translates to applying a simple cleansing oil daily on our skin, to nourish, moisturise, hydrate, and heal our skin.
To draw a reference that’s going to take you by surprise, in ancient times, Indians used to oil their body first and then go for a bath! If you’re intrigued and wondering how to use oil on the skin, or what are oil bath benefits, this article has all you need to know.
Why To Oil Your Body Before A Shower
Here is something crazy to start with – when you apply oil on your skin before bathing, there’s an invisible barrier being created between your skin and the water.
Let’s decode this – Hot, steaming showers strip our skin of its natural oils, leaving your skin feeling dry as you step out of bath. But, when oil is applied before the shower, the barrier prevents your skin from being stripped of its natural oils. This is just one of the many oil bath benefits for skin. Among the others, it is also beneficial in increasing the skin's hydration levels.
How Do You Take A Bath With Oil?
Dive into the art of oil bathing with us! It is just the pampering your body is asking for, before a bath. Here’s how to use bathing oil:
- Step 1: Go from bottom to top, from your feet to your neck. As you move upwards, with sweeping and long strokes using your fingers, massage the oil into your skin. The motion improves the circulation of blood in your skin’s vessels.
- Step 2: Keep in mind to use lesser pressure when massaging into areas of the skin which are thinner than the rest. The soles of your feet are thicker, so here you can use deeper pressure for the desired effect.
What oil should you use? Here’s a bathing oil which is ideal for all skin types:
- Coconut based oil is the best, most nourishing, naturally moisturising, extremely hydrating, and purest oil you can use. It is a superfood, an antioxidant rich oil, and powered with vitamins and nutrients vital for your skin’s health. Read the full benefits of coconut oil for hair, skin, and health here.
- Coco Soul’s Virgin Coconut based Massage Oil is a choice we recommend as it is 100% pure, unrefined, natural, and vegan!
Oil Bath Benefits
Among the many oil bath benefits for skin, we’ve rounded up the top four oil bath benefits to give you a fair idea of how it helps. Keep your skin healthy and happy with an oil bath occasionally for these reasons:
- If you are someone with dry skin type, this one is especially for you. The oil bath helps form a strong barrier between your skin and the shower water, allowing your natural oils and moisture to be retained. For people with oily or combination skin types, the oil bath serves its purpose in locking in the required moisture as hydration, while you bathe and allow the excess water to clean your skin externally.
- Exfoliation is easier when heated. Warm oil is applied to the skin before a bath. This is because your pores are opened, and the impurities slather off as you take a shower.
- Moisturisation before you bathe is the key aspect of oil bathing. Your skin needs a specific amount of oil and water, to maintain the pH balance it needs to stay healthy. You can ensure your skin’s moisture is locked in and the natural oils are easily absorbed by the skin, when you use a natural moisturiser.
- The pampering your skin receives is unreal! Help your muscles release the tension, your body relax, your stresses melt away, and your blood circulation improve with an oil bath.
Frequently Asked Questions on Oil Baths (FAQs)
Which oil is good for an oil bath?A simple cleansing oil to bathe with is coconut oil – a natural antioxidant, powered with vitamins and nutrients essential for our overall health, it is a superfood for our skin. The fatty acids like lauric acid in coconut oil make it ideal for an oil bath.
Is it good to take a coconut oil bath daily?There are many oil bath benefits, the most important being it is a hydrating oil for skin. Warmed and applied on your skin twice a week, it is the perfect bathing oil for your skin.
What happens when you put oil in your bath?Using a bathing oil before your shower can tackle almost all your skin’s woes, no matter what your skin type is. It leaves your skin in a state of bliss as you shower and wash off impurities.