If you’re doubtful about flaunting that new top or those cute pair of shorts because of the uninvited stretch marks on your back, tummy or thighs, trust us you’re not alone! Marks like these often get us thinking ‘why do I have stretch marks’, and ‘where do they even come from’? Fret not, just like always, we’ve got your back! We’re here to take you through the various causes of stretch marks and the easiest ways to tackle them.
What Are Stretch Marks And How To Identify Them?
Stretch marks are parallel lines or stripes that are formed on your skin due to overstretching of a certain muscle or body part. These lines can appear white or pinkish in nature. Even though stretch marks don’t cause too much harm, they can often be itchy on the skin. So, what causes stretch marks? Simply put, activities that cause major changes in the body, result in stretch marks. Common areas where you’ll find stretch marks include: breast, abdomen, buttocks, thighs and upper arms.
Why Do We Get Stretch Marks?
Our skin is composed of three main layers: the Epidermis, the Dermis and the Hypodermis. Stretch marks occur when the middle layer dermis is stretched beyond its limits. As the body grows over time, the dermis stretches slowly, to accommodate slow growth. So when the dermis stretches suddenly, it causes it to tear and reveal the inner layers of the skin, which show up as stripe-like lines. So, why do you get stretch marks? Read on to know what causes stretch marks-
- Pregnancy- Amongst many others, pregnancy is one of the common reasons for stretch marks. Stretch marks are formed when the connective tissues in the skin stretch beyond its limits. During pregnancy, the lower abdomen is stretched to a great extent, resulting in stretch marks as a common consequence. According to a report published in Medical News Today, around 50-90% of pregnant women are seen to get stretch marks.
- Puberty- Puberty is one of the commonly occurring causes of stretch marks. After a certain age, there’s a sudden growth spurt, resulting in stretch marks in some areas of the body. So if you’re wondering ‘why do I get stretch marks so easily’, it’s probably because of your age, and this too shall pass!
- Medical Conditions- As rare as it may be, certain medical conditions can often be one of the reasons for stretch marks. These include- Marfan’s syndrome and Cushing’s syndrome. Marfan’s syndrome occurs when there’s decreased elasticity of the connective tissue. In Cushing’s syndrome, the body produces too much of a hormone, which leads to weight gain and skin fragility. So if you’re thinking why do you get stretch marks when you are neither too young nor pregnant, maybe you should get diagnosed for one of these conditions.
- Genetics- Often, it is quite possible to get stretch marks even without any change in your body. You don’t necessarily have to go through a life chaneg like puberty, pregnancy, weight loss, weight gain or any other medical conditions. Some people are naturally born with stretch marks as they have inherited them from their parents.
How To Prevent Stretch Marks And Get Rid Of Them
How are stretch marks caused and what are the commonly occurring reasons for stretch marks? You’ve already found out about these. However, you can take some preventive measures to save your skin from going through any change in appearance. Here are a few tips that you can follow-
Focus On Your Weight- Since a sudden gain or loss of weight can be one of the common causes of stretch marks, it’s vital for you to monitor your body weight every now and then. Whether you’re at the gym, following a particular diet plan or in the middle of pregnancy, take careful measures and make sure that your weight loss is not too rapid. In case of pregnancy, the Medical News Today advises pregnant women to gain a healthy amount of weight, in order to cope up with sudden body changes during pregnancy.
Stay Moisturised- Sometimes, despite our body doing just fine and not going through any major lifestyle changes, we still get stretch marks. Why do we get stretch marks In such situations? Even though there’s no particular treatment for stretch marks, keeping the skin supple and well moisturised, can help you conceal them to a certain level and help reduce the risk as well. One product that can take care of your skin is the Coco Soul Nourishing Body Lotion. Gently infused with the goodness of virgin king coconut oil, sandalwood and welmi, this lotion will moisturise your skin and keep the causes of stretch marks away. It minimises age spots and reduces sun damage by penetrating ten layers deep into the skin. Moreover, this spectacular product is also loaded with Vitamin C, which boosts collagen growth that maintains skin elasticity. This keeps the growth of your skin in check and further curbs the appearance of stretch marks.You can also make use of the entire Coco Soul organic skincare product range for your skincare needs.
- Follow A Healthy Lifestyle- Are you taking good care of your skin and still wondering what causes stretch marks? Maybe you need to focus more on your diet and your lifestyle. Staying hydrated, following a balanced diet and exercising regularly, are all necessary to keep your skin’s health in check. If you follow a proper routine on a daily basis, your skin’s appearance will drastically improve, and you won’t find any other reasons for stretch marks to appear.You can also read up on the benefits of turmeric, coconut oil, shea butter, and others in reducing stretch marks
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Are stretch marks genetic?Yes, according to Web MD, genetics do have an effect on stretch marks. We know that during pregnancy, the skin goes through a great amount of tugging and pulling, giving rise to stretch marks. But if your mother got stretch marks during pregnancy, there are higher chances of you getting them too. Hence, there can be a genetic explanation behind the question - ‘why do we get stretch marks?’
Can you get stretch marks without putting on weight?In most cases, the occurrence of stretch marks is usually attributed to a sudden weight gain or loss. However, there are other factors that also lead to stretch marks. It is common to find stretch marks after attaining puberty, wherein your height suddenly changes, or you put on rapid weight. It is also common during pregnancy when you witness a sudden weight gain.
Are stretch marks always indented?Yes, they generally are. If a certain scar or line is formed on the outermost layer of the skin, i.e. the epidermis, it appears as a noticeable bump, which can easily be felt from the outside. But since stretch marks appear inside the dermis, the middle layer of the skin, they appear as scars of indentations. The distribution of stretch marks on the skin can differ from person to person on the body, but their appearance is usually the same.
Stretch marks often occur during the most unexpected times of our lives and we are often surprised when we see them. However, the next time you look at your body and wonder ‘Why do I have stretch marks’, don’t worry, because you’re not alone! We’re right here, and we’ll always help you get through it all!