Just like our body, our skin has different types too. And sometimes, it can be tricky to understand your skin type and identify the skin issues that comes with it. This is probably why most of us end up using the wrong product as well. When it comes to skin care, there is no one- size-fits-all. Every different skin types needs to be cared for differently.
Here are some ways to figure out what are the types of skin and identifying your own skin type. As a bonus point, we’re also sharing some skin care tips that can help boost your skin health.
Normal Skin Type
Normal skin, also called eudermic, is a well-balanced mix between all the skin types. It is neither too oily nor too dry. Normal skin tends to have balanced pH levels and sebum production, which makes taking care of it much easier.
Identifying Normal Skin Type
- Smooth texture
- Fine pores
- No sensitivity
- No blemishes
- Few or no breakouts
- Radiant complexion
Maintaining Normal Skin Type:
- Stay hydrated
- Wear sunscreen at all times
- Moisturise daily, at least twice
- Take off all the makeup before hitting the bed
Oily Skin Type
When your skin produces excess sebum, it often becomes greasy, sweaty, and susceptible to skin acne, blackheads and whiteheads, and other skin problems. In other words, excessive sebum production is the main cause of oily skin.
Identifying Oily Skin
- Oily appearance
- Open/larger pores
- Prone to breakouts
- Clogged pores
- Blackheads and whiteheads
Causes of Oily Skin
- Hormonal changes- Changes occurring during hormonal imbalances, pregnancy, or puberty.
- Environment changes- You can also experience oily skin because of your location and the season. If you live in a humid or hot climate, you will likely experience oily skin.
- Genetics- Most often, oily skin is a result of genes that have been passed on to you.
- Over- exfoliation- Exfoliating too much or using harsh chemicals that are not suitable for your skin kind can also stimulate sebum production.
Maintaining Oily Skin
- Moisturise- Even if you have oily skin, it is important to moisturise your skin as it will help balance out the overproduction of sebum.
- Stay hydrated- Drinking enough water will help flush out any excess oil and toxins layered on your skin surfaces.
- Double cleanse- To get rid of the oil effectively, cleanse your face twice, once in the day and once before you hit the bed.
- Don’t touch your face repeatedly- Having oily skin means that breakouts and blemishes may occur occasionally, tempting you to touch them. However, it is important not to pop or pick pimples to prevent further infection.
Dry skin type
Dry skin is characterised by a flaky, rough appearance. This type of skin produces less oil and has a less healthy appearance. Dry skin problems can also get affected by weather changes and has a tendency to dry out and crack.
Identifying dry skin
- Flaky and rough skin
- Uneven texture
- Constant itching
- More noticeable lines
- Less flexibility in skin
Causes of Dry Skin:
- Genetics- If members in your family have dry skin, you are likely to have it too.
- Climate- Dry skin is more common in dry climates and in winters due to lack of humidity.
- Long showers- If you take a longer shower with warm water, it can rip off the natural oils from your skin, and lead to skin eczema too.
- Age- As you age, the sebum production in your skin reduces too. This can cause dryness and flaking in your skin.
Maintaining Dry Skin
- Moisturise- Using a thick moisturiser can help keep your skin supple and hydrated at all times.
- Avoid warm showers- Don’t take longer showers with warm water and opt for lukewarm water instead.
- Do not scrub- Pat your skin gently while drying yourself up rather than scrubbing harshly while drying or showering
Combination Skin Type
Having combination skin means you have traits of both dry and oily skin. This skin type requires high level sun protection due to its oily nature and sensitivity to UV rays.
Identifying Combination Skin Type
- Oily T-zone and dry cheeks
- Breakouts just on temple, jaw and nose
- Dry cheeks
- Large and open pores
- Shiny skin
Causes of Combination Skin
Besides genetics your skin also changes depending on the climate. For example, the summer months might make you oily, while the winter months might make you feel dry.
Maintaining Combination Skin
- Use gentle face wash- Combination skin has larger pores in the T-zone than the rest of your face. Using harsh products may clog your pores. A gentle cleanser is recommended if you have combination skin.
- Exfoliate gently- Using an exfoliator every day isn't recommended for all skin types because it removes necessary oils from the surface. Be sure not to scrub too hard on your T-zone. You can damage your skin by exfoliating too hard.
- Apply sunscreen- Pick an oil-free sunscreen with mattifying properties.If you're still not sure about your skin type then you can head over to our blog on skin types test which has four easy tests that will help you to identify your skin type.
Tips To Get Healthier Skin
Now that you know how to identify your skin type, go ahead and create a skincare routine that suits you best. Additionally, you can follow these simple tips that can help you maintain glowing skin no matter what your skin type is.
- Use a broad-spectrum sunscreen to protect your skin from harsh UVA and UVB rays.
- Drink adequate amounts of water everyday.
- Always moisturise your skin with a moisturiser that suits it perfectly.
- Eat nutritious meals to keep your skin and body healthy from within.
Maintaining different types of skin and skin problems can be difficult. However, you can opt for natural skincare that can work wonders for all skin types. If you are looking for natural skincare products with no harsh chemicals, we recommend using Coco Soul.
You can kickstart your natural skincare routine by taking the first right step. Coco Soul revitalising face wash is a perfect blend of neem, gotu kola, and virgin king coconut oil.
Powered by the goodness of natural ingredients such as virgin king coconut oil and potent Ayurvedic herbs, Coco Soul skincare range is a perfect mix of ingredients that works for all types of skin and heals all the skin problems.
Frequently Asked Questions on Different Types of Skin
How can I identify my skin type?A shiny surface on your face after 30 minutes suggests oily skin; a tighter feel and flaky skin suggest dry skin; a shine only in your T-Zone indicates combination skin; and a moist and comfortable feeling without oiliness indicates normal skin.
How are skin conditions different from skin types?
You are born with a certain type of skin - there are four main ones, and you remain with that skin type forever. Skin conditions are something that develops as a direct result of something (hormonal, illness, lifestyle, etc.) that can be temporary and can be treated effectively.
What are the seven common skin conditions?
- Skin Acne
- Broken Blood Vessels (Spider Veins)
- Skin Eczema
- Sebaceous Hyperplasia