When your skin cells grow ten times faster than they should, you see patches that are red, bumpy, and have white scales on them. This is psoriasis. Most of the times, this can be seen on your scalp, knees, elbows, and lower back. Wondering what causes scalp psoriasis, or knee and elbow psoriasis? Scroll to find out.
What Is Psoriasis?
As mentioned above, the abnormal multiplication of your skin’s cells is what results in the red, itchy patches of psoriasis. The dead skin cells rise to the surface of your skin, giving you white scales over the patches. Often assumed to be the result of a weak immune system, psoriasis is caused by various triggers like infections, stress, and cold. When your skin peels off, it can feel extremely painful and itchy, and look red. According to the National Library Of Medicine and National Psoriasis Foundation, almost two or three percent of the world’s population is affected by psoriasis.
What Are The Types Of Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a common, long-term condition that can be painful, itchy, make you restless, interfere with your sleep, and make it difficult to concentrate. There are different types of psoriasis, with varying signs and symptoms for each. For example, what causes scalp psoriasis can be different from what causes nail psoriasis. We’ve listed the types of this condition below, so you can watch out for the signs of psoriasis on your skin.
- Plaque Psoriasis – It is the most common form of psoriasis, which appears on the elbows, knees, scalp, and lower back. There may be many or just a few patches of raised skin or plaques, which have white scales all over them. The dryness and itching in these patches can make it extremely hard to concentrate, sleep, focus, and live with it.
- Nail Psoriasis – Imagine your fingernails and toenails are peeling off, and the colours start to change. Prevent your nails from crumbling by noticing nail psoriasis symptoms and taking action.
- Guttate Psoriasis – Mostly seen in teenagers and young adults, guttate psoriasis has symtpoms like small, drop-shaped, spots with a scaly texture, on the neck, arms and legs. Triggers of this type of psoriasis include a strep throat or bacterial infections.
- Inverse Psoriasis – Parts of the body which are more intimately situated, and experience more sweat and friction like the groin, buttocks, and breasts are prone to inverse psoriasis. Fungal infections usually trigger it, causing smooth patches of inflammation.
- Pustular Psoriasis – This is rarely seen among people, but is a dangerous type of psoriasis because it is resemblant with pus-filled blisters. Pustular psoriasis usually appears in patches on the palms of your hands or soles of the feet.
- Erythrodermic Psoriasis – The most rare type of psoriasis, erythrodermic psoriasis is when the peeling, itchy, and burning rash occurs on the whole body. It can be short-term or acute, or long-term.
What Are Psoriasis Symptoms?
Common psoriasis symptoms and signs include the following:
- Patchy Rash – It could look like spots of dandruff, with scales, and red in colour. This is different from person to person, but the psoriasis plaques or patches are distinctive.
- Extreme Rashes – Rashes that cover a larger surface area of your skin, and vary in colour (and severity) from purple, to gray, to brown, are signs of psoriasis. Very severe rashes could also be black in colour, and red or pink rashes on the skin can have silver or white scales.
- Small Scales and Spots – Mostly observed in children, these spots are red or pink in colour.
- Itchiness and Burning – Dryness and itching to the point of bleeding and burning of your skin is a major concern. This condition could be a symptom of psoriasis.
- Cycles of Rashes – If you get rashes for weeks or months and it suddently subsides, or suddenly flares up, it could be psoriasis.
When affected by psoriasis, we recommend seeking help and cool your skin, naturally. Luckily, we’ve found an extremely safe and effective natural ingredient that can help soothe your itchy, burning skin. Medicinal or ayurvedic remedies to treat psoriasis are definitive, but you should try applying virgin based coconut oil on your skin. Although it does not treat the condition on its own, it does give you some initial relief.
Coco Soul’s virgin coconut oil is 100% organic, unrefined and hence, its antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties can help calm your irritated skin. The lauric acid present in this oil helps soothe the skin, the MCTs provide a nourishing dose of nutrients, and massaging the cooling elixir allows it to penetrate ten layers deep into your skin!
What Are Psoriasis Causes?
Having read the types and symptoms, you must be wondering: what is the main cause of psoriasis? The two main reasons for this condition to occur on your skin are your genetics and immunity.
- Weaker Immune System – T-cells or white blood cells are the blood cells in our system that fight off bacteria and viruses. They keep us safe and prevent us from getting sick. When our skin is affected by psoriasis, the T-cells start attacking the body’s cells itself, causing the body to multiply the development of cells. This rapid developement leads to Psoriasis.
- Genetics – Psoriasis runs in the family, and no one can change the genes you inherit when you are born. However, this can differ from case to case. Some people who are born with it, do not develop it. Some people are not hailing from a family history of psoriasis, may develop the condition.
Some of the triggers of psoriasis are:
- Stress – Just like any other skin condition or allergy, stress can cause an imbalance in the hormone levels of your body, affecting the production of your skin’s cells. A period of intense stress could trigger your psoriasis, if you are prone to it.
- Infections And Injuries – When you get hurt, your body works to repair itself as you treat it with the required medication or remedies. The cell production in the regeneration of your skin during the healing process takes a hit, along with the immune system which leads to triggering psoriasis.
- Weather Changes – Cold weather is a common trigger of psoriasis, causing it to flare up.
- Tobacco And Alcohol – When you drink and smoke, your skin is exposed to the tobacco and chemicals involved in the cigarettes and alcohol infusions. These could trigger your pre-existing risk of psoriasis.
If you are someone or know someone suffering from psoriasis, a good daily routine of bathing and moisturising is key to minimise the effects. While you work on treating the condition, a good moisturiser for dry skin can help soothe the skin as well as reduce the appearance of the patches. You can also refer to this article for some home remedies for psoriasis.
How about a Natural Body Butter to give your psoriasis a spa-day of soothing healing? Coco Soul’s body butter is a moisturiser with a rich creamy texture, and is free from parabens, silicones, and other chemicals. The 100% vegan cream is made with ayurvedic ingredients like lodhra, shea butter, and virgin coconut oil! Using it daily can help alleviate the itchy, burning sensation you experience as a result of psoriasis.
In addition to all that you now know about psoriasis, if you are looking for effective ayurvedic remedies for any other skin condition that causes your skin to flare up, check out Coco Soul skincare products! The wide range of cruelty-free skin care products is all you need for a calming, magical touch. This article on the benefits of coconut oil for inflammation is a great place to start.
Frequently Asked Questions on Psoriasis (FAQs)
What is the main cause of psoriasis?While the signs or psoriasis symptoms of rashes, or inflamed skin patches could throw you off, knowing what causes them can help you relieve your skin. The major causes of psoriasis are genetics and a weakened immune system, which are triggered by various factors.
How do you get psoriasis to go away?Although psoriasis causes discomfort once you know what the root cause of psoriasis is – you know you can help reduce the effect, by soothing your skin. It may never fully go away, but it is possible to keep it in check and reduce it.
Is psoriasis is curable or not?The condition of psoriasis is pre-existing in your genes or immune system, so it is impossible to escape it entirely. Although the psoriasis causes cannot be reversed or the condition cured, you can control how it is triggered and treat it with natural remedies!