From dealing with clogged pores to managing acne, oily skin has its own set of challenges. Sure, you've tried blotting sheets, cleansers, and anything else you can think of to help clear pimples, clogged pores, and acne but not everything will always work. And not everything is safe to apply on your skin as there is always a risk of developing side effects. However, there are some alternatives that are comparatively safer and natural. For instance, home remedies! Home remedies are safe, affordable, and effective and can easily fix your oily skin problems.
On this note, let’s take a look at some natural oily skin home remedies that you can try right away:
Home Remedies To Treat Oily Skin
1. Lemon Juice
The citric acid in lemon juice works as an astringent to help control oily skin and brighten your complexion, making it a perfect addition to the oily skin home remedies.
- In a bowl, add a teaspoon of lemon juice and half a teaspoon of lukewarm water
- Mix it well and apply it to your skin with a cotton ball
- Leave it on for ten minutes
- Rinse with warm water
- Apply a light- weight moisturiser after this remedy
Honey can help reduce excess oil on your skin, clear your pores, moisturise (without making your face oily), and can also benefit acne-prone skin with its natural antiseptic and antibacterial properties.
- Apply a thin layer of raw honey across your face and neck
- Let it dry for 10-15 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
3. Egg Whites
Egg whites contain a lot of vitamin A. Hence,, they are good for treating blemishes and for toning and tightening oily skin. If you do not suffer from egg allergies, you can try thi egg whites remedy.
- Mix one egg white with a teaspoon of fresh lemon juice
- Spread it evenly on your face
- Allow the mixture to dry
- Wash it off with warm water
Keeping oily skin under control is easy with cucumbers because they contain a high amount of vitamins and minerals such as vitamins A and C, magnesium, and potassium.
- Grind a cucumber in a fine paste
- Gently apply the paste across your face
- Leave it on overnight
- Rinse in the morning with warm water
5. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has many benefits, including its ability to hydrate and tone oily skin. It also contains antibacterial properties that help prevent breakouts from excessive oil buildup.
- To make a quick toner, dilute ¼ cup of apple cider vinegar with ¾ cups of water
- Pour it into a spray bottle
- Spritz it generously and leave it on for ten mins
- Rinse it off with cool water
Nutrient-rich bananas contain vitamins A, B, E, and potassium that help moisturise skin cells, without adding excessive oil or grease.
- For a banana face scrub, add one mashed ripe banana and one tablespoon of milk and two tablespoons of oats
- Apply it to your clean face
- Massage it for 5-6 minutes
- Let it sit for 20 minutes
- Rinse with warm water
Products containing lactic acid, such as yoghurt and milk, help exfoliate and absorb excess oil from the skin.
- Apply one tablespoon of plain yoghurt to your face
- Let it sit for 15 minutes
- Rinse it with cool water
8. Aloe Vera
Aloe vera has traditionally been used to treat sunburns, but its antimicrobial properties also make it ideal for acne-prone skin. Aloe can also absorb excess oil on your skin.
- Apply a thin layer of aloe vera gel to your face before going to bed and leave it overnight
- Wash it off with a gentle cleanser in the morning
Aloe Vera can cause an allergic reaction. So, do a patch test on your forearm before each use.Now that you know about the homw remedies for oily skin, you can head over to our blog on skin care tips for oily skin to learn about some essential tips to treat oily skin.
Skin Care Routine For Oily Skin
Oily skin remedies can treat your skin effectively. However, to see better results and to help these oily skin remedies to work its magic, it is important to get your base right.
Every skin type has its unique routine that can help combat your skin woes. Below is an easy skincare routine for oily skin besides the oily skin remedies that can help you treat oily skin and set your base just right.
CleanserUse a gentle cleanser to begin your morning skincare routine. You can keep your pores unclogged with a cleanser by removing excess oil and impurities from your face. There are many types of cleansers, so choose one that is suitable for your skin type. You should choose a formula that can balance your complexion and combat excess oil if you have oily skin. Focus on your T-zone, where a lot of excess oil accumulates.
If you are looking for a natural face cleanser that goes well with your oily skin care routine, home remedies, and more, we recommend using Coco Soul Natural Face Wash from Coco Soul's face care range. Combined with the Ayurvedic expertise and nature's most potent herbs such as neem, gotu kola, and virgin king coconut oil, this face wash purifies dirt and other impurities from your face without making it dry. It rejuvenates your facial skin by giving it a healthy and radiant glow.
TonerAfter cleansing your face with a cleanser, apply a toner. Toner helps unclog pores, regulate skin pH levels, and even out your skin tone.
MoisturiserMoisturising oily skin is no different than moisturising dry skin. When you moisturise your skin, you can control the production of sebum while improving its texture.
It is ideal to use a non-greasy moisturiser on oily skin. A wide variety of oil-free moisturisers can hydrate your skin without clogging your pores.
An oil-free, gel-based moisturiser that contains the right natural extracts and acids can be a good pick for oily skin.
SunscreenOily skin may also benefit from sunscreens that are non-greasy. It is best to avoid sunscreens with heavy, oily ingredients since they are likely to damage your skin.
Choose a light formula that is enriched with antioxidants and natural extracts, and provides ample protection against the sun's UV rays without making your skin feel sticky throughout the day.
You can also use matte finish formulas as a base for your makeup. You must also check out our blog on types of skin problems to learn about the common skin problems for different skin types.
Frequently Asked Questions On Treating Oily Skin
How do you get rid of oily skin naturally?
- Wash your face with warm water and a gentle cleanser to reduce the amount of oil on the skin
- Use a natural, alcohol-free toner
- Use blotting papers and keep tissues handy
- Use a hydrating facial mask
- Apply moisturisers
How to treat oily skin?
- Never miss your cleansing routine
- Use only gel and water-based skincare and make up range
- Never ditch the moisturiser
Is milk a good home remedy for oily face?
Raw milk works wonders for oily skin because it unclogs the pores and reduces oil production, as well as helps fight oily bacteria stuck to the skin. Add it in your oily skin care routine home remedies for better results.